Community Development


Lee County Courthouse Room 206
P.O. Box 912
Jonesville, VA 24263

Richard Johnson, II


Cathy Wilder, Secretary

Office hours: 
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Monday - Friday
Phone (276) 346-7766


The Planning Commission is currently reviewing the Zoning Map for potential revisions.  Land use patterns change over time and certain areas of the county may not be properly zoned today.  The Commission will be very transparent and keep the public informed as the process evolves.  The Planning Commission meets the third Wednesday of each month.  Please contact Community Development Secretary Cathy Wilder if you have any questions about this review process.



Lee County Zoning Ordinance



When do you need a Zoning Permit?

A zoning permit is required for any new construction, addition, or major renovation within the County, including but not limited to:




Manufactured Home Procedures:

If you plan to move a new or used manufactured home to your lot and the lot currently has no other dwellings, you must follow these steps:



If you are still unsure if you need a zoning permit, please
contact the office.

Copies of the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance and Comprehensive Plan are available in this office; there will be a
charge of $25.00 due to the size of the documents.

Applications may be filled out on your computer, however, you must bring a printed copy to this office in order to file for a permit.


Zoning Permit Requirements:

Variance Requirements

Rezoning Requirements

Special Use Permit Requirements

Zoning Text Amendment Requirements

ZONING FEE SCHEDULE                                     Effective July 1, 2012








Zoning Permit $20.00
Special Use Permit

Residential $100.00 Commercial $150.00

Rezoning Request $150.00
Zoning Text Amendment $150.00
Variance Request

Residential $100.00 Commercial $150.00

Zoning Manual $25.00

Fees must be paid prior to scheduling a public hearing, advertisement, or posting of property.

There will be no refunds on fees paid

Any singlewide or doublewide mobile home to be placed in a R-1 District will need to apply for a Variance Request.
This site is designed for County residents and visitors to use for informational purposes. If there is any information not contained in this website, that you feel may be helpful to Lee County residents, please let us know.